Thursday, December 22, 2011

What makes a good preacher?

I have had a big trouble for some time regarding preaching. My issue is that the people I have served under have always criticised my preaching style. And I am not talking about the hearers, but about those who have been preaching, in some cases, as long as I have lived!!!

I have a philosophy, going to seminary, I got a -B for preaching, not as bad as Piper, but still not an A+. I have come to realise, like Piper seems to have in the video, that not following the professors view of preaching can lead you to be seen as a mediocre preacher, or someone who has not learned the principles of hermeneutics or exegesis.

Well, I know hermeneutics, and did my Greek and Hebrew, but I didn't share my last pastor's philosophy of preaching at all. He did a Master of Theology with a preaching concentration, but I told him once, a preacher is borne a preacher, whatever one learns along the way, is an add on, nothing else. People can get Master or Doctorates of preaching, but what you are doing is just proving to that faculty that you can preach to their ideal way of preaching, and not to the people's needs or style that they would understand.

I've been doing ministry for the last 13 years, and now that I am flying solo, I am preaching the way I feel I should preach, and some churches have ask for me to come time and time again to preach, and one, even asked me to take over their church!!! Preaching is only one part of my ministry, but to me, it's a great part. Like Piper, I feel extremely excited about the text, and I run with it. I do my exegesis, I do my work, but there are some that may take 10 hours what it takes me 3 to put together. I am not claiming that I am better than them. All I am claiming that God has given me, or Piper, the key of proclaiming the gospel to our hearers. I used to be ashamed of this, or even scared, but I have seen that once must embrace what God has given to me, and share it with others.

This video about Piper, has really "released me", and I hope that it does the same to many other young, and old preachers, who don't want to follow the same old crowd, that believes that there are other ways of preaching than the one they were thought 40 yrs ago. I hope I don't get that way when I grow old. I hope to see in others what God is doing through them, and accept that God is doing something different for a new generation.

No comments: